Outside of conventional classes, outside of schools and universities,
how do people learn things? Often they ask a colleague to help show them
what to do. It sounds obvious, but all our work on interface design, help
systems, manuals and even training seems to ignore it. What would systems
be like if they actively tried to support this process? That is what this
research tries to address.
The following files offer more information.
brief introduction to OTSL
A paper on
OTSL based on an observational study and theoretical analysis
paper exploring the implications for OTSL on HCI research
- Singh, V. Twidale, M.B. & Rathi, D. (2006). Open Source Technical Support: A Look at Peer Help-Giving. To appear in Proceedings, HICSS.
- Twidale, M.B. (2005). Over the shoulder learning: supporting brief informal learning. To appear in Computer Supported Cooperative Work.
- Rathi, D., Twidale, M.B., & Singh, V. (2005). Adapting Knowledge Management Systems For Collaborative Technical Problem Solving. To appear in Proceedings ICKM 2005.
- Twidale, M.B., Wang, X. C., & Hinn, D. M. (2005). CSC*: Computer Supported Collaborative Work, Learning, and Play. Proceedings, Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) conference, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Huang, J., Lu, B. & Twidale, M.B. (2005). Graphical Abstracts for Explaining Interaction, Proceedings CHINZ, Auckland New Zealand.
- Twidale, M.B. and Ruhleder, K. (2004). Where am I and Who am I? Issues in collaborative technical help. Proceedings, CSCW04. 378-387.
- Hinn, D. M., Wang, X. C., & Twidale, M.B. (2004). Collaborative Learning of Computer Applications in the Contexts of Work, Learning and Play. Proceedings, 4th Annual IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, Joensuu, Finland. 201-205.
- Hinn, D. M., Twidale, M.B., & Wang, X. C. (2004). Computer-supported collaborative learning: Learning the work of play. Invited panelists at the Social Learning and Gaming Workshop at CHI 2004, The Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Vienna, Austria.
- Wang, X. C., Hinn, D. M., & Twidale, M.B. (2004). Spontaneous collaboration: Perspectives from computer supported learning, play, and work. Paper presented at the annual meeting of American Educational Research Association, San Diego, CA.
- Twidale, M.B. and Ruhleder, K. (2004). Over-the-Shoulder Learning in a Distance Education Environment. In C. Haythornthwaite & M.M. Kazmer (Eds.) Learning, Culture and Community in Online Education: Research and Practice. NY: Peter Lang. 177-194.
- Twidale, M.B. (2000). Interfaces for Supporting Over-The-Shoulder Learning. In M. Benedict (Ed.), Proceedings, HICS 2000: The Fifth Annual Conference on Human Interaction with Complex Systems. The Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. April 2000. 33-37.
Twidale, M. B. & Nichols, D. M.(1999). Computer Supported Cooperative
Work in the Information Search and Retrieval Process. In M.E. Williams
(Ed.), Annual Review of Information Science and Technology (Vol. 33, pp.
259-319). Medford: Information Today.
Twidale, M.B. & Nichols, D.M. (1998). Designing Interfaces to Support
Collaboration in Information Retrieval. Interacting with Computers, 10(2),
Twidale, M.B., Nichols, D.M. & Paice, C.D. (1997). Browsing is a Collaborative
Process, Information Processing & Management, 33(6), 761-83.
Crabtree, A., Twidale, M.B. O'Brien, J. & Nichols, D.M. (1997). Talking
in the Library: Implications for the Design of Digital Libraries. Proceedings
of ACM Digital Libraries '97, (Eds.) Allen, R.B. & Rasmussen, E., Philadelphia,
This research was in part funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation's ITR Program # 0081112
My Home Page